March 26, 2013 by BettyCupcakes
Spring is near. I can just tell. When I was walking the dog this morning, I could just tell that the season had changed. The air felt different- damp, but not cold, and the birds were chirping. It was a very “Colors of the Wind” Pocahontas moment for me. (You know you want to sing it…)
Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of spring. It’s a tease. One day it’s sunny and warm and the next it’s freezing and drizzly. I like it hot- like “fry an egg on the sidewalk” hot, so spring really doesn’t offer me much besides a runny nose and a pollen covered car.
I do like the flavors of spring, though. Everything’s so crisp and fresh.
These tacos are like spring in a tortilla. Bright flavor from the salsa Verde, crisp texture from the zucchini, damp from the sour cream, tied together with some muddiness from the black beans. They also come together in about 10 minutes, so if you are making them on a nice, spring day, you can eat them and get back outside quickly. Throw open those windows, people, and blow the stink off ya.
Black Bean and Zucchini Tacos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked black beans *I make mine in the crock pot, but if you’re using canned, substitute one 14.5 oz can. Make sure to drain them and rinse well.
- 1/2 cup fresh peas, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup salsa Verde
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the zucchini and saute for 2-3 minutes until tender. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Then, add the black beans, peas (if using), garlic, and salsa Verde. Cook 3-4 minutes or until beans are warmed through. Stir in cheese and remove from heat. Stir to coat all ingredients until cheese is melted. Season with black pepper.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwave on high heat (100% power) for 30 seconds until soft and pliable.
- Add ~1/4 cup of black bean and zucchini mixture to each corn tortilla and garnish with desired toppings.