April 10, 2013 by BettyCupcakes
Love in the time of tacos…
Good morning, friends! I’m celebrating Taco Tuesday on a Wednesday because I was busy celebrating my baby boy’s 1st birthday yesterday. I made all his favorite foods, which I’m going to share with you tomorrow for Munchkin Meals.
This breakfast taco is like a food hug for your tummy. It is such a comforting meal- creamy beans with soft scrambled eggs topped with spicy salsa and fresh cilantro rolled up in a warm tortilla.
They would also be a great addition to a taco bar. For instance, you could beef up your breakfast tacos with:
- Crumbled bacon
- Queso fresco
- Chopped, cooked chorizo sausage
- Crunchy hash browns
- Roasted broccoli
- Baked sweet potatoes
Dressed up or stripped down, these breakfast tacos are a tasty, quick meal any time of day.
- Olive oil spray
- 8 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14.5 oz can refried beans
- 1 small can of hatch chiles
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (optional, but recommended)
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and sea salt to scramble. Heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium low heat. Once pan is hot, spray generously with olive oil spray. Add eggs and cook gently 2-3 minutes. Using a spatula, lift the eggs up at the edges and let the uncooked egg run underneath. Once there is very little runny uncooked egg left, gently flip the eggs over to cook on the other side. Cook for just about 1 more minute. Try not to break the eggs too much. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir to combine the refried beans and hatch chiles. Warm over low heat until heated through. Keep on low heat until ready to assemble tacos.
- Wrap tortillas in a paper towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds until soft and pliable.
- To assemble the breakfast tacos, spread 1/4 cup of the refried bean mixture on each tortilla. Top with approximately 1/8 of the cooked scrambled egg. Spoon on a tablespoon of salsa and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Roll and serve.
Serves 8 (2 breakfast tacos per serving)
What is your favorite breakfast food?