September 23, 2013 by BettyCupcakes
I hope your Monday is off to a good start. So far, the wee one and I:
- folded laundry and watched “Thomas & Friends”
- vacuumed the snacks out of the car (toddlers.are.gross)
- went to playgroup, obsessed over cantaloupe, and squealed about bubbles (all him, I swear)
- snuggled in the Ergo while I grocery shopped
- bought snacks and ingredients for meatballs
- ate said snacks in the car (’cause I’ll never learn my lesson about crumbs and toddlers)
- returned a three-week overdue library book (whoops)
- chased a labradoodle
- went to sleep (again, Sam)
I’m feeling pretty productive. Here’s hoping today’s nap lasts longer than 45 minutes. Poor bean is getting all kinds of teeth and is generally pretty hacked about it (not that I blame him).
None of this has anything to do with the gorgeous gingerbread at the top, though, right? Except that it’s cool and fall-like today and we actually wore sweatshirts instead of t-shirts.
Oh and the gingerbread is from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, which also happens to be a very overdue library book. It’s rich and moist and smells like a spicy campfire. I actually made it a couple of weeks ago and took half to our neighbors. I cannot be trusted with a whole pan of gingerbread.
Especially when you douse it liberally with homemade, just barely sweetened, whipped cream. The canned stuff simply won’t do with this comforting cake. I like my cake like I like my sweaters: soft and warm (and probably covered in whipped cream that was thrown at me by a toddler).
Next up from the cookbook- Apple Brown Betty. I’ve got a half peck of McIntosh, Cortland, and empire apples from The Big Apple in Wrentham, MA taking up valuable counter space. If you’re headed to the outlets, stop by, take a hay ride (with real hay!) and pick some apples for your own dessert.
How is your Monday going so far?
Gingerbread- love it or hate it?