October 30, 2013 by BettyCupcakes
Let’s stop talking about pumpkin, just for a minute, and switch to another favorite fall ingredient: sweet potato!
Get your butter ready, y’all, it’s time for biscuits.
I know everyone gets all hot and bothered about pumpkin every autumn, but I don’t think it’s fair to ignore the steady orange spud that’s there for us all year long. We eat massive amounts of sweet potatoes in our house.
The wee one is obsessed with sweet potato fries and I love the color and sweetness they add to any dish. Black bean and sweet potato tacos? Amazing! Three bean and sweet potato chili? Awesome!
These sweet potato buttermilk biscuits would be a great addition to any table- breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Their faint orange hue is like a doughy sunset and the sweet potato adds just a touch of sweetness to the traditional, fluffy buttermilk biscuits.
They’re also wonderful dunked in the black bean soup I’m going to share on Friday. Stay tuned!
Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk and mashed sweet potato until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour until butter is about pea-sized and well-distributed throughout the flour.
- Make a well in the flour-butter mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Using a spoon, stir the buttermilk into the flour-butter mixture until it is mostly incorporated. Knead the dough in the bowl with your hands just a few times to get it all to come together. Turn it out on a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out circular biscuits. You’ll get 6-8 biscuits, depending on the size of your cutter.
- Bake 10 minutes until golden brown.
Makes 6-8 sweet potato buttermilk biscuits
How do you cook up your sweet potatoes?
Tired of pumpkin yet? (Never!)