November 17, 2013 by BettyCupcakes
Do you think the universe is looking for an expert on mushroom rice? Because if it is, it can stop looking.
Here I am universe, the expert on mushroom rice!
*cue the trumpets*
How did I earn this new found expertise?
By cooking an astonishing 40 ounces of cremini mushrooms in the last two weeks and turning that into no less than five casserole dishes of mushroom rice. I’m beyond thankful that it’s the wee one’s new favorite food.
Just in time for your Thanksgiving table, I’m sharing the holy grail of mushroom rice recipes with you. It’s creamy without being too thick, with a delightful savory richness from the mushrooms. Mushrooms are full of umami, you know.
Oh, and dear vegan/lactose-intolerant friends, don’t fret! I’ll be working on a dairy-free version of my condensed cream of mushroom soup so that you, too, can experience all the joy that creamy casseroles have to offer.
I think I’m going to need some more mushrooms.
Creamy Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take out an 8 x 8 square glass baking dish.
- Add the rice to the baking dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the water, milk, and condensed cream of mushroom soup. Whisk to thoroughly combine and dissolve the mushroom soup into the other liquids.
- Pour the mushroom soup/milk mixture over the rice in the baking dish and stir gently to combine.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake the mushroom rice at 350 for 50 minutes.
Question of the Day:
Are you a mushroom lover or hater?