January 17, 2014 by BettyCupcakes
Maybe it’s the Texan in me (Southern hospitality ain’t a joke), but I love hosting parties at my house. Seven years ago, when I got married, I stole Thanksgiving from my in-laws and I’m not giving it back. Before the husband and I had the wee one, we hosted several potluck parties a year. Things are a little different now that everyone has to get a babysitter. Silly kids- wrecking our social lives.
I joke, obviously, but what’s the solution? Brunch! It’s before naptime and usually during snack time or lunch time which makes it baby/kid-friendly and gives us parents a reason to drink before noon. Mimosas, anyone? What’s not to love?
5 Tips for Hosting a Kickass Brunch
1. Make a grocery list. Read the recipes with a pen in hand and write down what you need.
*Bonus tip: take a cellphone picture of the inside of your refrigerator and pantry. That way you can double check what you have so you don’t overbuy.
2. Make a game plan. Plan out what you can do two or three days in advance to make the day of the brunch easier and more enjoyable for you.
3. Keep it small. That goes for guests and dishes. Brunch should be an intimate, come in your pajamas kind of thing. Don’t feel the need to make puff pastry from scratch or try a 45 step recipe. Classic = simple.
4. Don’t skimp on the drinks. Coffee, tea, mimosa, Bellinis, Bloody Marys, juices, sparkling cider, hot chocolate, etc.- really whatever your crowd is into. Remember to buy cream and sugar for the hot drinks, too.
5. Relax! Remember, this is brunch, not a four-star dinner for visiting dignitaries. No one ever died while waiting on fresh pancakes. Promise.
What are your tips for hosting an awesome brunch?